Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cologne/Perfume Rant



Something has bothered me for quite some time and I'd like to discuss it. The topic is cologne and perfume. The parody of cologne and perfume has perplexed me ever since I was a little kid. Alright check this out...

A guy goes to a department store and he goes to the men's section of cologne. He spends a few minutes spraying the different colognes on little pieces of paper to find a scent that he likes. When buying cologne guys think of two things: A. How much he likes the scent himself. and B. How much he thinks a woman might like that particular scent. Let's be honest, men wear cologne in general to try to attract attention from women.

Now a woman goes into a department store and goes to the women's section of the perfume counter. She sprays a bunch of little cards and finds a scent she likes. She selects the scent based on two reasons. She finds something she likes herself, and something she thinks men will like. Women wear perfume to attract men as much as men wear cologne to attract women.

So here's my dilemma. I'm buying cologne because I hope a woman will like it, and they're designed to be liked by women. A woman is buying perfume because she hopes men will like it, and they're designed to attract men. So then, why is there even a distinction between the scents if they're designed to be liked by all? It's the most ambiguous and arbitrarily decided product of all time. At what point did they decide which smells belonged to which gender? How is one scent any more masculine or feminine than the other? I know there are some scents that are designed to be androgynous, but really why aren't they all?

To clarify this however, I will say that I like men's cologne way better than I like women's perfume. And I imagine that women in general like their women's cologne more than they like men's cologne. In this case wouldn't it make more sense for women to wear men's cologne, or vice versa to truly appeal to the other gender's tastes? If a woman wants a scent that men really like then she would have to choose men's cologne.

Does this make sense to anyone? Or am I the only fucktard to think stupid shit like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment